Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect millions of entrepreneurs with millions of buyers around the world. As an Etsy Inc. employee whether a team member of Etsy, Reverb, or Depop you will tackle unique, meaningful, and large-scale problems alongside passionate coworkers, all the while making a rewarding impact and Keeping Commerce Human
What’s the role?
We are looking for an Applied Machine Learning Professional to build innovative multi-modal classification models to moderate the content on Etsy’s House of Brands in order to make our platforms trusted and safe for our buyers and sellers.
As the Senior Applied Scientist I you will be responsible for building multimodal classification models that automatically evaluate the text, image, and metadata of user generated content on Etsy risks to trust or safety. This includes being responsible for evaluating and monitoring and improving the performance of these models and systems. In addition, your most impactful and innovative work will be shared internally and externally through blogs and conference papers. Do you find joy in applying new and advanced machine learning techniques to make e commerce a safer place to transact? If so, this could be the perfect match.
What’s this team like at Etsy?
- The Content Evaluation squad within Trust & Safety Product Engineering works to automatically remove dangerous and risky member generated content from our marketplaces
- We work closely with other Trust & Safety partners in Product, Design, Engineering and Operations, as well as with our Machine Learning Enablement engineering teams
- This year, we are working to reduce the visibility of dangerous or risky items from our biggest marketplace, Etsy.com
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Build novel multimodal machine learning (ML) models to evaluate content for risks to Etsy’s membersDevelop a strategy for collecting unbiased (or less biased) training data to ensure our content moderation models have minimal blind spotsEstablish and maintain documentation and code samples on the current “best” way to solve the content moderation challenges that Etsy’s marketplace facesWork collaboratively with our product and operations partners to prioritize the highest risks and propose technical solutions
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- Advanced degree in Computer Science or Statistics (other relevant fields also welcome), or equivalent education and industry experienceA proven track record of industry experience with applied ML development in a production environment, including modeling unstructured data (e.g., natural language text, images, etc)Experience collaborating with globally distributed teams and partnersAbility to work with relevant data at Etsy scale (at times, in the petabytes)Ability with public Cloud technologies for software development (e.g., GCP, AWS, or Azure)
If you’re interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us and feel free to include a cover letter if you’d like. As we hope you’ve seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace furthers relevance, resilience, and longevity. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If, due to a disability, you need an accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.